The parish was founded before 1182 by the knights of the Kuenring dynasty. The original seat of the parish was the place known as Altweitra today. However, in the 13th century a new distinctive place for a church was chosen: the town of Weitra was founded at the north end of a granite plateau sloped towards the North-West.
The parish church of Weitra is an example of a continuously growing sacred building. The first church bwas built here in Romanesque style. It is typical for Romanesque churches of the region that her tower was located in the East. The oldest visible parts of the church are the nave and the square East tower, to which a semicircular apse was added later on.
Link (in German): www.pfarreweitra.at